Saturday, May 30, 2009

Scotty hasn't got a Clue...

Last night was my first foray into the Birmingham social scene. Two other interns and I went to Art on the Rocks at the Birmingham Museum of Art and found ourselves making quite the scene.

It all started when we proceeded up the stairs of the museum into another art exhibit and found ourselves being screamed at across a crowded lobby by a pompous security guard in a red shirt. We had no idea why we weren’t allowed upstairs until a kind woman told us it was because we had drinks. Lo and behold it was, but there was no sign telling us that move wasn’t allowed. So we were embarrassed in front of everyone there as they stared at us coming back downstairs.

There were some upsides to the night though. The paparazzi were out in full force taking pictures for the Birmingham About Town magazine and I had my picture taken as a nominee for “best dressed.” I was sporting a new Anthropologie outfit that my wonderful Mom bought for me.

There was also the excitement of being hit on by a 40-year-old man named Scotty. My fellow interns and I decided he must have tacked on the “y” because I was young enough to be his daughter, and he thought that would earn him some cool points. Not.

But all in all my adventure in downtown Birmingham was a hit. The band was amazing and the people were friendly (sometimes too friendly). And the icing on top of a perfect night was spotting “marry me Lauren” in old-fashioned theatre lights on top of an old building. The three of us decided this was just about the most romantic thing ever and were instantly jealous of “Lauren,” wherever she was.

Pictures to come later. My camera was in a mood last night...

No comments:

Post a Comment