Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You Better Shop Around

Another thing I have been guilty of over the last couple days is rediscovering my love for shopping and, along the way, decorating. This is not a very good thing to rediscover on a teacher's salary, and it explains why I have been motivating myself to cook at home.
On Saturday, a friend and I went to the Riverside Arts Market (one of my absolute favorite things about Jacksonville). I have found many a gem at this place. My squashed glass Southern Comfort bottle is the perfect piece to tie my entire dining room together. Saturday, however, I found myself drawn to a necklace made from a recycled Arizona Tea can. Sold! Mecaela and I also stopped into the butterfly tent and the following pictures are what resulted. Seriously, you never know what you'll find there.


Then on Monday (as if I hadn't spent enough money over the weekend), I went with my friend Courtney to TJ Maxx. Now, I know what you're thinking, TJ Maxx isn't that exciting. Everyone has been to a TJ Maxx. Well, not me, ladies and gentlemen. It was my first time. All my friends gasp at me when I tell them this. In all honesty, I am glad I dodged that bullet for this long. It is like heaven in there and I barely escaped with a positive checking account balance (just kidding, Dad). But I did go a little crazy. The home goods section had my undivided attention (how quickly I ditched the purses I had intended to buy when I discovered the hidden treasures of home goods). By the time we had finished picking over each and every isle, I had to remove 75% of the contents of my buggie to get out of there with enough money to buy groceries for the week. Courtney said I was just making up for lost time. After all, I had 22 years of TJ Maxx merchandise to make up for. But I decided to start small (and maybe go back next week for more). In the end, though, I came out on top with a fabulous new mirror made out of recycled magazine pages (my splurge...I literally jumped up and down when I saw it), two purple vases, and a new desk organizer that matches the mirror. Needless to say, I wasted no time arranging it all when I got home. I decided my bare guest bedroom needed some new life and this is what resulted...


No comments:

Post a Comment