Thursday, August 11, 2011

Find Yourself

Today, while driving home from lunch with a friend, this song came on and I found myself playing it repeat the whole way home. Particularly these lines:

When you find yourself

In some far off place

And it causes you to rethink some things

You start to sense that slowly

You're becoming someone else

And then you find yourself

When you make new friends in a brand new town

And you start to think about settlin' down

The things that would have been lost on you

Are now clear as a bell

And you find yourself

Yeah that's when you find yourself

Where you go through life

So sure of where you’re headin'

And you wind up lost and it's

The best thing that could have happened

‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way it's really just as well

Because you find yourself

Yeah that’s when you find yourself

I have lived in Jacksonville for just over a year now, and that year has been mostly a rollercoaster ride. My life is nothing like I anticipated it would be in my college years. In four days, I embark on my second year of teaching, my final year as a Teach for America corps member. For the last year of my life I have been looking for the meaning behind my being here in this city, doing this job. A year in, I’m still not sure I’ve figured it out. But I know there is a bigger picture. I know God has a reason for putting me here. And, while I can’t see it yet, I know that I will soon enough. Because, as the song says, sometimes it takes being lost for a little while to really find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment