Friday, December 23, 2011

Hitting Pause on Passing Time

It’s that time of year again. And, finally, I have slowed down enough to take a breath.

With so much to look forward to over the Christmas holiday (a week at home, a week in Wisconsin, three days in Atlanta…) you would think I would go to bed every night with anticipation coursing through my veins. But, instead, I lie in bed every night clinging to the last moments of the day and thankful that I have a job that allows me this opportunity to spend so much time with my family at this time of year. A couple years ago, I coined my home “The Restful Place”, and I still stand by that statement. There is something to be said for doing nothing, for movies on the couch every night and for going to bed at ten o’clock and waking up at eight. There is something to be said for falling into a new book for the first time since August, for taking pictures of leaves for no good reason and for baking Cauldron Cakes. There is something to be said for finding time for all the things and people I love as the year draws to a close. So often the passing of time gets away from us and we forget to do what makes us happy…sometimes we wake up on December 23 with only days left in the year to make it count, to do something (no matter how small) for ourselves and for the people we love that will make us happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment