Thursday, May 24, 2012

Red.





“Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.”
-Elizabeth Taylor


I think the one piece of beauty advice I will always remember my mother giving me is “put on some lipstick”.  The woman never goes anywhere without a tube of lipstick, and she never gets out of the car without reapplying it. 
These days I feel like I live in a world where not many people wear it anymore.  It’s always Chap Stick or lip-gloss that you see women applying; it’s rarely ever a tube of bright pink or red lipstick. 
This week I have rekindled my love affair with red lipstick.  I have been reapplying it just to sit on the couch or make dinner.  There is something about it that makes me feel put together even though my hair is wet and I’m wearing a T-shirt.  It makes me feel traditional, like a woman walking around in the wrong generation.  It makes me feel old-fashioned.  It makes me feel pretty.  And when all it takes is a tube of red lipstick to make you feel all of that, well then, honey, put on some lipstick!

No comments:

Post a Comment