Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Staying Grounded

Today I got the chance to speak to some upcoming high school graduates about the transition their lives are about to experience. It was a small group of (mostly) young women from my church, and I spent the last few days thinking about what advice I could offer them about how to stay connected to the “big picture” when being swept up in the excitement that surrounds your everyday life in college.
I decided one of the most important things you can do for yourself when going through that intense period of growth is to stay connected to those who know you best. When caught up in a whirlwind of new people and adventures, and when stressed about life and plans not falling into place or people not turning out like you expected, it’s the people who know you best that can bring you back down to earth. Your friends can always help you feel grounded in a world where it seems like everything is out of your control. And often, that’s exactly what life feels like: a sprint towards a goal with all these uncontrollable forces distracting you and pulling you in a thousand different directions.
I spent yesterday and part of today visiting my old Birmingham roommate (and much missed other half) in Destin. I hadn’t seen her in a year and we only talk occasionally, but it is one of those friendships that just seems to fall right into place. We spent yesterday afternoon catching up on life, and I am now a firm believer that sometimes it takes someone far removed from a situation to really give you the right perspective. She said so many things I have needed to hear for so long, but couldn’t quite put my finger on them. Let’s just say she was the mirror I couldn’t avoid…
So tonight is all about surrounding yourself with good people who know you best and know what’s best for you. Whether they are down the hall or several states away, may they always be just a phone call away, and may we always be smart enough to listen to their advice…

Proverbs 15:22
Refuse good advice and watch your plans fail;
Take good counsel and watch them succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment