“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
I set out today to answer this question for myself in the hope that it would help me with yesterday’s assignment. Here are some of the things I came up with:
• Sitting on a porch when it’s raining and just listening and watching
• Listening to a song that moves me
• Singing at the top of my lungs
• Being spun while dancing
• Seeing new places and finding out new things about myself
• Old pictures, new pictures, taking pictures, being in pictures, pictures in general
• Rediscovering God in my life after missing Him for awhile
• Deep conversations with great friends
• A book that brings a character to life in a way that entangles me in the inner workings of their mind so that I don’t know where my thoughts end and theirs begin
• Discovering a new recipe that makes me close my eyes for the first five bites to celebrate its deliciousness
• Being able to tell a piece of paper anything
So, today, in an attempt to do something that makes me come alive, I tried a new French recipe for Croque Monsieur Ham and Cheese Sandwiches. The Bechamel cheese sauce was absolutely decadent and definitely gave me one of those “close-your-eyes” moments. Now I just need to fill my days with more moments just like these...
What makes you come alive? Did you do it today? If not, what are you waiting for?