Monday, May 17, 2010

What the World Needs

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

I set out today to answer this question for myself in the hope that it would help me with yesterday’s assignment. Here are some of the things I came up with:
• Sitting on a porch when it’s raining and just listening and watching
• Listening to a song that moves me
• Singing at the top of my lungs
• Being spun while dancing
• Seeing new places and finding out new things about myself
• Old pictures, new pictures, taking pictures, being in pictures, pictures in general
• Rediscovering God in my life after missing Him for awhile
• Deep conversations with great friends
• A book that brings a character to life in a way that entangles me in the inner workings of their mind so that I don’t know where my thoughts end and theirs begin
• Discovering a new recipe that makes me close my eyes for the first five bites to celebrate its deliciousness
• Being able to tell a piece of paper anything

So, today, in an attempt to do something that makes me come alive, I tried a new French recipe for
Croque Monsieur Ham and Cheese Sandwiches. The Bechamel cheese sauce was absolutely decadent and definitely gave me one of those “close-your-eyes” moments. Now I just need to fill my days with more moments just like these...

What makes you come alive? Did you do it today? If not, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment